Neighbourhood Watch

We welcome you to become involved with protecting your neighbours and yourselves from crime and vandalism. First and foremost, watch out for one another as you are the best defense against criminal activity.

If you witness a crime in progress or a drunk driver on the streets call 911 and the police will respond immediately. If you see something suspicious call the police complaint line at 780-423-4567 or #377 from your mobile device. The police will gladly check it out, and remember that there could be cruiser right around the corner from you. This could be just the break they need to solve a case on their files. Don’t be shy to make this call, and remember to watch construction sites and report unusual activity. There is a good chance you can prevent theft from new buildings.

There are many organizations that create a safer environment and they are always looking for volunteers or participation. Neighbourhood Watch has orange signs on the streets and formalizes the vigilance process. Edmonton Safe Parent Association replaced Block Parents in 2006 and continues providing safe haven for children.

These all provide excellent means of involvement in protecting your community, and remember that they all require security clearance to become members. I encourage you to contact them if you feel you can contribute some time and effort.

Reporting Suspicious Activities

People are highly encouraged to continue to report suspicious activity, including door-to-door scams, as police may see a need to dedicate more resources. The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) encourages you to call the EPS Complaints Line at 780-423-4567 to report any incidents. The EPS is committed to innovative and responsive community policing and has developed the Neighbourhood Crime Mapping Website for the public to view crime in neighbourhoods across the city. By accessing this timely information on reported crime, you will be able to know what is happening in your neighbourhood. By knowing what is going on, we can work together to reduce and prevent crime.

For more information about community policing, visit the EPS Community Policing site. Keep up to date with the latest safety information, resources, and success stories from grassroots crime prevention groups.


Dealing with Graffiti

If graffiti (or tagging) starts appearing in our area, it’s important that we deal with it and not let it continue. Tagging is a step toward more crime activity, but it can be stopped by following the steps outlined on the City of Edmonton website:

Graffiti is regulated by the Community Standards Bylaw. Graffiti includes any inscription, slogan or drawing placed on a wall or other public surface without the permission of the building’s owner.

Graffiti is a Crime

Graffiti is a criminal offence when placed on public or private property without the owner’s consent.

Private property owners are required to remove graffiti from their property within a reasonable amount of time.

Buildings and structures should not have graffiti on them that is visible from any surrounding property.

You should call 911 if you witness a graffiti crime in progress.

Graffiti Removal

Keep the exterior of your business clear of graffiti. Tidy walls have a positive effect on your property value and business sales.

The 3Rs of graffiti management are:

  • Record: Take photos of the vandalized area and record when it occurred
  • Report: Inform the Edmonton Police Service and the City
  • Remove: Wash or paint over the graffiti

Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about graffiti:

  • Discuss the concern or notify the business owner so they may contact police
  • Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can’t resolve it directly with the business owner
  • Call 311
  • Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court

Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. A file is created specifying your concerns
  2. A Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO) opens an investigation
  3. The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
  4. The MEO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine depending on the circumstances
  5. The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
  6. The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court